This post is one of the useful Shopify reviews with guides from a real e-commerce owner using Shopify for two years.
It can be overwhelming to start an e-commerce store being a new entrepreneur. There are numerous online store platforms available, however, as a beginner, you are better off with an easy-to-use and navigate platform which I recommend Shopify.
What is Shopify and how does it work?
Shopify is an e-commerce platform. Their main office is located in Ottawa, Canada. It was established in 2004 and made it’s way to the hearts of online sellers in around 2009.
Shopify works as a building that you rent to be able to display your products. The platform offers a bunch of features that are geared towards your business’ success.
Unlike marketplaces, using Shopify or other e-commerce platforms means you need to drive traffic to your store to acquire leads or sales. It can be challenging at first but it’s totally doable once you get the hang of your marketing plans and execution.
Related Topic: Drive Impulse Buying To Your Store With These Strategies
Here’s how Shopify works:
1. Sign up with Shopify so that you can access your store dashboard. If you haven’t done this so, you just got lucky because Shopify is offering a 90-day trial period which before was only 14 days. Isn’t that great?
FREE DIGITAL LIBRARY ACCESS
2. Add your products first before you do any theme customizations. Why? Because the layout will not render as you imagine it to be without any products. You can add 10-15 products and start categorizing them if you want to show them by category on your homepage.
3. Add a domain name from inside the platform or you can order from Ionos (formerly 1&1). I’ve been using Ionos for my website needs from domain names, hosting, email, and SSL certificate. They’re great with easy to navigate back-end. And yes, you can have a 1 dollar domain (for the first year) with them being a new customer.
4. Set payment solutions. I suggest having both PayPal and Shopify payments so you don’t miss on any customer who exclusively use either method to shop.
5. Set up your store title and meta description. These are important for search engine indexing. And while you’re at it, get your Google Analytics code and paste it on the intended field. This is a vital step for the accurate tracking of traffic on your online store.
To do this, navigate settings then go to legal.
7. Customize your template. Choose from the free themes or buy a premium theme if you have the budget. The drag and drop themes usually cost around $180.
Related Topic: Free Shopify Themes For Beginners: Will It Work?
Why use Shopify?
I love Shopify that is why I recommend it to you. Why? Because as someone who is not a web designer, you can easily make your website look fantastic.
Get an endless design possibility with Shopify drag and drop templates. I recommend a free theme called Debutify. It’s highly customizable with features of a premium theme, and most importantly, it is lightning fast. Download and install to see it for yourself.
Related Topic: How To Use SVG Logo In Shopify | Step-By-Step Guide
Aside from that, Shopify also has 24/7 security where you are notified every time there is an issue. You can sign up for notifications to stay updated for downtimes, dashboard issues, and more.
My Shopify store has always been fast with its premium in-house hosting. You don’t need to worry about the coding and other back end stuff and instead focus on your marketing. Such an absolute time-saver.
Not only that, but Shopify also has a dynamic approach to marketing. From making sure that you use every possible marketing channels to SEO flexibility, Shopify offers these options within your end.
Offering discounts have also evolved within Shopify. Lately, they have been adding more flexibility to doing promotions by discount codes and auto-discount.
When it comes to integrating Shopify store product reviews, you can choose from multiple apps ranging from completely free to paid plans.
Do I need a business license for Shopify?
Getting a business license highly depends on the country and area where your business is operating. Depending on the type of business you run, it may require a federal, state/provincial, and/or local license to operate.
If you are in the US, you can refer to this website. For other countries, visit your government websites for accurate information on business licensing.
How much are Shopify fees and what Shopify plan should I choose?
Shopify offers three types of plans according to your business needs. It starts from $29 USD per month up to $299 USD.
On top of the monthly plan, credit card fees will also be deducted per sale basis. The rate they take per sale also depends on the plan that you are currently using.
How to do SEO on Shopify?
Integrating SEO on your Shopify products has never been easier with editable fields on each page.
Basically, to make your products SEO-friendly, you have to research the specific keyword that people are searching on Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other search engines.
How to do it?
Go to Google Keyword Planner (sign-up first if you have not done so) and search for keyword ideas. From there, you can see how much are the search volumes per month and how hard is it to compete with a specific keyword.
When you find a keyword for your product to use, for example, yoga pants, you then can use this with your leggings. See the example below.
Additionally, you can use Shopify apps for SEO to guide you in terms of what you need to write to make your online store SEO effective.
What size should product images be on Shopify?
There is no absolute rule on what size you can use for Shopify product images. The rule of thumb is to use uniform-sized images with at least 1000px dimensions in a jpeg format. Why jpeg? Because it is web-friendly, which means it won’t affect your site speed as much as PNG would do.
Choose from these apps to automatically resize your product images for good layout and site speed optimization.
When are Shopify payouts done?
If you use Shopify payments as a payment gateway (which I highly recommend), it’s easy to receive payouts. You only need to set-up your banking details to receive the payout directly to your bank.
You can customize the frequency by every business day, weekly, or monthly.
Where can I find Shopify website examples?
Related Post: Pros And Cons Of Shopify
If you find this post useful, please PIN IT to a business tips board on Pinterest. After all, sharing is caring.